The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) was responsible for overseeing the construction and financing of the Downtown Crossing. A design-build team headed by Walsh Construction Co. of Chicago was awarded the job of building the Downtown Crossing. Construction began in July of 2013 with substantial completion in November of 2016.
The Downtown Crossing
- New northbound I-65 cable-stayed bridge
- Existing I-65 Kennedy Bridge re-decked and converted solely for southbound traffic
- I-65 from Muhammad Ali Blvd. to the Kennedy Bridge
- I-64 from River Road to Mellwood Ave.
- I-71 Interchange to Frankfort Ave.
- I-65 from W. Market St. to north of Stansifer Ave.